Sunday, November 30, 2014

Step 3: Be Thankful!

In the season of thankfulness that happens this time of year, I can't help but think about how lucky I am. I have a job that is more than just a job, it is a career that I love. Even on those terrible days, and we all have them, I am lucky to do something that makes me smile, think eagerly about lesson plans, get excited about new technologies, new ideas and new ways to approach teaching and learning. I feel sorry for educators who don't love what they do. I feel sorry for librarians who don't put any effort into learning new technologies. I feel sorry for administrators and school boards that do not see the value of a strong library program. Mostly though, I feel sorry for kids who don't have someone championing for not only their literary needs, but also their curiosity. A good librarian, in a strongly supported library program can make the world open up for kids. They can even the playing field a little for those facing challenges. They can bring back a sense of curiosity for kids, which in turn promotes a desire to learn. My wish for the future is to open new worlds for lots of children and help others recognize and support strong library media programs. Wishing you all a safe and happy holiday season and lots of good reading.


My daughter and I, about 14 years ago when I was deciding that I wanted to be a Children's Librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment